The entire point of inbound marketing is to attract, engage and delight your audience, but many business owners don’t know where to begin or not sure if they are doing it right.
Here are nine techniques that you should be using in your online business:
1. Give Away Something of Value – You’ve heard it called a freebie, a lead magnet, an ethical bribe or perhaps an entry level product or service. It can be a free trial, a video, or a checklist. It doesn’t have to be a big deal; it just needs to solve a problem immediately.
2. Mind SEO but Put People First – Page titles, header tags, keywords – these are all important, but speaking directly to your audience is more important. Some very successful online business owners really don’t care much about SEO, so when Google and other search engines change their algorithm they’re not affected in a bad way. This is because when you seek to please your audience first, you’re already a winner.
3. Ensure That You Have a Working Marketing Funnel – Sometimes this is called a purchasing funnel or a sales funnel. All it means is that you’ve created a model that shows the path of your audience through the buying cycle. You should have a product or program that addresses each need throughout that buying cycle along with an email list, email marketing content, and appropriate calls to action to go with it.
4. Build Brand Awareness – Getting known as an expert in your field is a great way to build your brand’s awareness and expand your reach. Use social media, go to live events, write a book, get interviewed, blog more… Get known as a consistent brand throughout the online and offline world.
5. Host Webinars – One of the best inbound marketing ideas to come to pass in a long time is webinars. You can host a webinar with a webcam, a mic, and a platform like Facebook Live, YouTube Live or software like Zoom.us. But because I’m not a “direct to camera” girl, I usually create a PowerPoint and talk as I flip through the slides. It’s so much fun, you have to try to at least do ONE this year!
6. Go Live on Facebook for a Q & A – One way to host something live is a simple Q & A. No planning really has to be made for this event. Just give your audience a couple days warning, collect questions in advance, have some that you can answer, and then let people ask questions live during the event. I do these within my Facebook groups and it’s so much better than trying to remember to call in to a bridge line on a specific day and time.
7. Use Well Made and Proven Lead Generation Software – While it’s true that you can cobble together a decent sales page and leads using your regular website, you should look into some lead generation software. This will save you SO much time I guarantee. There are popular programs such as Leadpages and Instapage, but I recommend InstaBuilder.com. Instabuilder is a WordPress plugin and is a suitable alternative to LeadPages and Instapage without the monthly fees. It’s easy-to-use drag and drop software creates all your landing pages, thank you pages, webinar optin pages, and download pages. It also has analytics features.
8. Spread Yourself Around – You want to get known, so a good idea is to guest blog, write articles on LinkedIn, share everything you post on your website to social media, and get interviewed by others in the industry.
9. Create Amazing Products and/or Programs – This is probably the most important element except that if you do this and then don’t tell anyone, no one will know. But, if you are known for creating amazing products, word will get around.
When you practice tried-and-true marketing techniques that are known to get results, you can’t help but win. People like working with people who are transparent, honest and have a good reputation. The better you can build that perception, the more successful you’ll become using inbound marketing techniques.